Friday, August 28, 2009

Photo Highlights: Phase 2

Ah! I'm leaving for India in three and a half days, and SO MUCH has been left unsaid about my journeys through Tibet... This is my plan: I'm going to continue writing on this blog as summer-pertinent thoughts strike me, and put up some more pictures. However, a documentation of my experience studying for a semester beneath the Bodhi tree can be found on my regular blog, Tilting at Windmills. So stay tuned.

Below I'm posting the photo highlights of the 12 days I spent traveling through the Tibetan Autonomous Region on an organized tour (the entry I wrote about this time is called Snapshots from the TAR).

John and Nicki, the two Londoners we traveled with, on the highest train in the world en route from Xining to Lhasa.

The monks debate at the Sera Monastery.

The Sera Monastery, in Lhasa. Tibet, how are you so photogenic??

Tibetan Michael Jackson breaks out the dance moves.

A Chinese surveillance camera over the Potala Palace.

A smiling nun washes the dishes.

The solar eclipse. We are on the roof of our hostel, wearing mock-mountaineering goggles we purchased on the streets of Lhasa. Note the cloud cover.

Miles and I in the back of a truck with our fabulous guide Lumbum.

Lhasa being spectacular just before sunset. I was eating delicious chicken masala on a rooftop when I took this picture.

Bridles, anyone?

An awesome-eyed cat I found on the streets of Lhasa.

Miles with a ridiculously small puppy, also found on the streets of Lhasa.

These peace pilgrims were prostrating all the way from Kham to Lhasa.

The pass we drove over on the way to Namtso Lake. This is about 16,000 feet.


Namtso Lake, the highest lake in the world, in all it's glory.

I could make a career of yak portraiture.

For some reason the restaurant we ate at at Namsto had a couple of yak heads sitting outside. They lied about the oxygen.

SWEET TEA in the nomad tent.

This is where we spent the night.

There are always prayer flags on the high mountain passes.

We put goggles on some small children that were playing on the streets of New Tingri.

Everest, or Qoomolongma, at nightfall. Thank-you Miles for being my tripod.

On our way to the Nepali border. We drove beneath this waterfall. In a bus.

Drom, the terraced metropolis on the Nepali border.

No comments:

Post a Comment